The Naples Area Board of REALTORS® (NABOR®) is an established organization (Chartered in 1949) whose members have a positive and progressive impact on the Naples community.
NABOR® is a local board of REALTORS® and real estate professionals with a legacy of over 60 years, currently serving over 5,000 members. NABOR® is a member of the Florida REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS®, which is the largest trade association in the United States, with more than 1.3 million members and over 1,400 local boards of REALTORS® nationwide.
NABOR® is structured to provide programs and services to its membership through various committees and the NABOR® Board of Directors, all of whose members are non-paid volunteers.
The term REALTOR® is a registered collective membership mark which identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the National Association of REALTORS® and who subscribe to its strict Code of Ethics.
NABOR History Video Gallery HERE
Naples Area Board of REALTORS® Historical Events Timeline
1938 The National Association of Real Estate Boards grants the original charter under the name of Naples-on-the-Gulf Board of REALTORS®. During the mid-1940s, the charter was lost due to non-payment of dues as a result of the effect of World War II.
1949 W.L. Clark, Jr. serves as President. The National Association of Real Estate Boards grants its second charter under the name of Naples-on-the-Gulf Board of REALTORS® with a membership of 13, including its president, Robert Benson, William L. Clark, George Huntoon, George W. Lesher, John A. Pulling, N.P. Sloan, Edwin Watson and six associates.
1950 Robert T. Benson serves as President. Naples is granted its charter as a city, building codes are adopted and renowned urban planner Harland Bartholomew (father of comprehensive planning) is hired to plan and zone the city. There are 1400 residents living in Naples and 6,500 residents in all of Collier County. Fifth Avenue consists of the Gulf Hotel and a gas station, liquor store and a couple of dry goods stores. Cambier Park is donated to the city.Broker dues are $10 and associate dues are $25. Grace Truesdale became the first woman member and was also appointed the first woman director in 1952 and first woman officer in 1953.
Naples Area Property Values:
Five-acre beach parcel sells for $26,000
Aqualane Shores home sells for $35,000
Port Royal lots sell for $50 a front foot
Two-bedroom furnished home, three blocks from beach lists for $11,500
Four-bedroom home on Gordon Drive and 21st Avenue lists for $19,500.
1951 Edwin M. Watson serves as President. NABOR® membership dues are $30.
1952 George Lesher serves as President. Naples-on-the-Gulf Board of REALTORS® is incorporated and the first board of directors is established. Naples building permits reach $2.5 million for the second year, mail delivery begins for 600 homes and rotary phones come to town.
1953 Henry B. Watkins, Jr. serves as President.
1954 Edwin M. Watson serves as President.
1955 W. Roy Smith serves as President.
1956 David C. Jones, Jr. serves as President. The compulsory closing of real estate offices on Sundays is endorsed by the board, and the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) is formed.
1957 David C. Jones, Jr. serves as President. The rule that “No REALTOR® shall display any sold sign, or sign implying the sale of any property under the jurisdiction of the Naples-on-the-Gulf Board of REALTORS®” is established, and the Naples Municipal airport becomes a passenger airport.
1958 Charles E. Cox serves as President. During this time Charles begins negotiations with the Collier family to move the county seat from Everglades city to Naples where the population was booming. This action was for the benefit of the members of NABOR and the Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce for which he was the chariman in 1961. This move was accomplished in 1962.
1959 E.M. Brown serves as President. Naples is granted its charter as a city, building codes are adopted and renowned urban planner Harland Bartholomew (father of comprehensive planning) is hired to plan and zone the city. There are 1400 residents living in Naples and 6,500 residents in all of Collier County. Fifth Avenue consists of the Gulf Hotel and a gas station, liquor store and a couple of dry goods stores. Cambier Park is donated to the city.
1960 Wesley G. Downing serves as President. Fifth Avenue becomes a shopping destination, financial center and home to 116 businesses. NABOR® membership totals 146. Hurricane Donna hits Naples on September 10, causing $25 million in property damage and stimulating Naples’ growth with an infusion of insurance money and low-interest loans.
1961 Faber Hair serves as President. Naples High School graduates its first class from its present location, which includes Mike Richardson, who eventually becomes the seventh executive officer of Naples-on-the-Gulf Board of REALTORS®.
1962 George C. Huntoon serves as President. The Naples Shopping Center is built featuring Publix and W.T. Grant.
1963 John R. Wood serves as President. Sixty-one real estate offices are located in Naples.
1964 John R. Wood serves as President.
1965 W.A. Burton serves as President. The board hires its first full-time executive officer, Rhys Beatty.
1966 Lester Whitaker, Sr. serves as President. Naples-on-the-Gulf Board of REALTORS® member David Jones is elected president of the Florida Association of REALTORS®; a lease is signed for a new office on Tenth Street and Fourth Avenue South; the first sales contract is approved by Naples-on-the-Gulf Board of REALTORS® and the local bar association; and Alligator Alley opens to traffic, connecting Fort Lauderdale with Naples.
1967 Henry B. Watkins, Jr. serves as President. Mandatory attendance of orientation class is established for new members, the District Five Jive golf tournament was hosted by NABOR and a local chapter of the Women’s Council of REALTORS® is formed. The board approves a request to relinquish jurisdiction of sections of Naples to the Bonita Springs Board of REALTORS® and MLS books are delivered to each member’s office.
1968 William A. Loach, Jr. serves as President.
1969 Earl L. Frye serves as President. REALTRON is established as the first computerized MLS system, but is discontinued after one year.
1970 Addison B. Miller serves as President. NABOR® membership is 325.
1971 Richard H. Goodlette serves as President.
1972 Lester W. Whitaker, Jr. serves as President.
1973 Thomas E. McBride serves as President.
1974 Robert H. Jaeger serves as President.
1975 Paul E. Lees serves as President. NABOR® membership is 663.The board changes its name from Naples-on-the-Gulf Board of REALTORS® to Naples Area Board of REALTORS®.
1976 M.J. "Casey" Miller serves as President. Formal dedication of the first NABOR® building at 1459 Pine Ridge Road takes place on March 26.John R. Wood is elected to the Florida Real Estate Commission and the NABOR® Board of Directors receives a jurisdictional release for the formation of a new Board of Marco Island REALTORS®, to be granted in 1977. The board adopts an affirmative marketing agreement and encourages individual offices to become signatories. Casey Miller was elected to the board as the first woman president.
1977 John W. Vaughn, Jr. serves as President. The first phase on Coastland Mall is built, featuring Sears and J. C. Penney, dominant retailers at the time. PRC is established as the next generation of computerized MLS system. For more information, click HERE.
1978 William B. Stone serves as President. There are over 600 members of the Association, either REALTOR-Brokers or Associates.
1979 Jay S. Bishop serves as President.
1980 Norman G. Harris serves as President. NABOR® membership is 1,028.
1981 John T. Conroy, Jr. serves as President. John R. Wood is the first NABOR® member elected as president of the National Association of REALTORS®.
1982 W. James Smith serves as President.
1983 Thomas G. Schessler serves as President.
1984 Paul E. Sprowls serves as President.
1985 Ronald H. Bell serves as President. NABOR membership is 1,191. A scholarship fund is established by NABOR® for students planning a career in real estate. The Ritz Carlton Hotel, the Registry Hotel, the Philharmonic Center for the Arts and Interstate 75 open, with each becoming a catalyst for growth in the Naples area.
1986 Phillip R. Wood serves as President. The Ad Miller award is established to recognize an individual who has made a contribution toward enhancing and or preserving private property rights, ownership and transferability and the display of concern for others for the free enterprise system. Ad Miller, a REALTOR® and patriot, dedicated a good part of his life to preserving and enhancing private property rights.
1987 Jon F. Lowdermilk serves as President. The National Association of REALTORS® Code of Ethics and Arbitration Manual is incorporated into the bylaws.
1988 Marilyn D. Knoblauch serves as President.
1989 Lee Nichols, Jr. serves as President.
1990 Richard Clemmer serves as President. NABOR® membership is 2,389.
1991 Marilyn Evanish serves as President.
1992 Marie A. Harris serves as President. Ground is broken for a new Naples Area Board of REALTORS® building at 1455 Pine Ridge Road and is opened to members on July 2, 1993.
1993 S. Jeanne Haynes serves as President, a year she treasured. During Jeanne’s year, the current building at 1455 Pine Ridged Road is completed. It was a huge leap of faith for the Association to build a center of this size at that time, and a major and thought provoking undertaking. The 1991 Board manages the finalization of construction from approving details through final inspections, which creates a whirlwind of activity for the entire year. The Board demonstrates tremendous vision towards what NABOR would become. Now we sit with an outstanding facility that has accommodated our needs for almost 30 years and continues to be a focal point of industry activity in Collier County. Jeanne’s insight and negotiating skills with the City of Naples also helps get forward movement on changing the city codes regarding real estate signs in the City. Naples High School graduates its first class from its present location, which includes Mike Richardson, who eventually becomes the seventh executive officer of Naples-on-the-Gulf Board of REALTORS®.
1994 Jeri Cobb serves as President. The NABOR® REALTOR® store opens and Carl Russell is hired as Chief Financial Officer (CFO). A new class of membership is formed, the Allied and Affiliates. New signage codes go into effect in the city of Naples. Our standard sign size changes to new signs barely larger than note book paper. The REALTOR® family cooperates and sign changes ate completed almost overnight.
1995 Patsy S. Vaughn serves as President.
1996 J. Thomas Conroy, III serves as President. NaplesArea.com, a consumer-facing Web site, is launched to the public.
1997 Stephen K. Hunt serves as President. NABOR® membership is 1,831.The board changes its name to Naples Area Board of REALTORS and Association of Real Estate Professionals®. The National Association of REALTORS® establishes the term "REALTOR®" to apply to all brokers, broker associates and sales associates. From 1949-73, all members were considered sales associates and only broker members used the REALTOR® term.
1998 Christopher A. Braun serves as President. REALTOR.com is contracted to post MLS listings; NaplesArea.com launches in partnership with the Naples Daily News; and NABOR.com, the member Web site, is launched.
1999 June M. Mueller serves as President.
2000 Mardi S. Moorman serves as President. NABOR® membership is 2,265.
2001 John A. Steinwand serves as President. Electronic technology replaces the MLS books.
2002 Alfred J. DiNicola serves as President. The Hall of Fame award is established to recognize members who have volunteered 20 years or more of service to NABOR®.
2003 James A. Pilon serves as President. NABOR® membership is 3,164.New member orientation classes are held monthly to accommodate the increase in membership, and SunshineMLS launches as the new MLS system, "Built by REALTORS® for REALTORS®".
2004 Joseph Ballarino serves as President. The Naples Players and the Naples Art Association create visual and performing arts centers in partnership with the city. The NABOR® Leadership Development program is established, and the board shows support for a county referendum to acquire land to save the Naples Zoo and Caribbean Gardens from redevelopment. The redesign of NaplesArea.com is launched. Orientation for allied and associate members is established.
2005 Michele A. Harrison serves as President. NABOR® membership is 4,819.The first offsite EXPO is a huge success and the NABOR® Community Involvement Committee is established.
2006 Jo Carter serves as President. NABOR® membership reaches 5,000.The first Habitat for Humanity home is built, and a new brand is created for NABOR®.
2007 Spencer Haynes serves as President. NABOR® changes its name to Naples Area Board of REALTORS®. The real estate market begins to steadily drop after the massive and unrealistic gains of 2004-2005. The onslaught of loose lending practices combined with easily obtained contracts on new construction proves to be the breeding ground for negative publicity regarding the Naples real estate market. A Media Relations Committee is formed to communicate accurate market statistics and trends to the media and public. NABOR becomes the source of reliable market data and the voice of real estate for the Naples Area. MLS is a focus of attention by the Board. Sunshine MLS is in the midst of growing and developing. NABOR forges the path to having a better way to share data that is consistent and reliable, expanding the ability of all of its members to provide professional service in areas never thought possible. NABOR® changes its name from Naples Area Board of REALTORS and Association of Real Estate Professionals® to Naples Area Board of REALTORS®. Urban planner, Andres Suany, is hired by the city to redevelop Fifth Avenue.
2008 Arlene Carozza serves as President. John R. Wood, Jane Parks, Earl Frye, Norman Harris, John W. Vaughn and Patsy S. Vaughn receive the REALTOR® Emeritus Status award from the National Association of REALTORS® for achieving 40 years of REALTOR® association membership. The first NABOR® Commercial Committee is established.
2009 Brett Brown serves as President. NABOR® membership is 4,180.The NAR® Resort and Second Home Symposium is hosted by NABOR® for the first time. The NABOR® Global Business Committee is established to implement NAR’s 3-year international awareness plan and, as a result, the NABOR® Global Network is established. NaplesArea.com, the consumer-facing Web site, is launched with a completely new design.
2010 J.P. Antonmattei serves as President but unfortunately dies in a tragic plane crash January 17, 2010 . Brenda Fioretti steps in to serve as President. SunshineMLS Plus is formed, the interior of the NABOR facility is completely renovated, the NABOR History wall is installed and social media is embraced. NABOR participates with CBIA and the Chamber of Commerce in the blood drive to replenish local blood supplies and for Haiti relief efforts. The Mediation program is adopted an alternative to arbitration. NABOR participates in CBIA’s “Politics in the Park.”
2011 Brenda Fioretti serves as President. The Young Professionals Network (YPN) is created, the eAssociation isformed, the Ombudsman program is launched and the NABOR history book "Steps through Time" is published. The Membership Committee begins presenting New Member networking events. RPAC holds its first Major Investor event. NABOR partners with the REALTOR® Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach to share MLS data and compensation through Core Logic’s Data co-op program. iMAPP is replaced with CoreLogic’s Realist program.
2012 Bill Poteet serves as President. The first Economic Summit was held, we became a Commercial Accredited Board, the NABOR Education center was formed, the Naples Conference Center was branded and we began sharing data with Greater Ft. Myers and the Beach.
2013 Wes Kunkle serves as President. M.L.S. of Naples,Bonita Springs-Estero Association of Realtors (BEAR), Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, and Cape Coral Multiple Listing Service Inc. integrated their separate multiple listing services into one platform, the CoreLogic Matrix MLS system, to share data. The NABOR Leadership Academy was branded and the first Committee Showcase was held.
2014 Pat Pitocchi serves as President.
2015 Mike Hughes serves as President.
2016 Rick Fioretti serves as President.
2017 Dominic Pallini serves as President. Staff initiates Base Camp for inter-committee communication. The Allied and Affiliate App is created. New monitors are installed at NABOR to display up-to-the-minute information. Live-streaming of classes is implemented. Board news, classes and events are being video recorded and communicated to members. The RPAC surpasses its highest goal.
2018 Rick Baranski serves as President.
NABOR® Members Active in Public Service
Collier County School Board member - 1984–1988
Collier County School Board member - 1990–1996
Collier County Commissioner - 1996–2000
Collier County School Board member - 2010–2014
Big Cypress Basin Board (appointed by Gov. Bush) - 1996-2004
2-Term appointment to Southwest Florida Regional Planning Council - 2005–2012
Value Adjustment Board member - 2002-2014
Collier County School Board member – 2002–2014
Mayor of Naples, 1968-1970
Collier County Commissioner, 1966-1968
Florida State Representative, 2007-2014
Naples City Council member, 1962-1968
Collier County School Superintendent - 1976–1980
Collier County School Board member - 1990–1998
W. Roy Smith
Mayor of Naples, 1946-1960
Collier County Commissioner, 1950-1956
Florida State Representative, 1956-1974
Lester Whitaker Sr.
Collier County Commissioner 1971-1972